Thursday, February 4, 2010

Jury Duty

I recently did my civic duty and appeared for jury duty. I had been dreading it, and used up all my postponements, so I just packed up my jury summons, woke up ass early to get all the way downtown by 8:45, and went with the flow.

After having served my two days, I highly recommend it.
Here is my review:

The room they kept us in was very comfortable. It did feel like we were all on a really big plane going nowhere, since the chairs all faced in one direction, and there were chairs along the wall as well as in the middle of the room. However, the seats were comfortable.

We had an emcee of sorts, who every once in a while would give us updates on when lunch was, what the trial situation was, etc. They have it set up so that you can take breaks whenever you want, as long as you signed out. Lunch was from 12:30-2:00. There were two rooms with laptops that had internet access. There was a water cooler with free Poland Spring water. There were vending and soda machines in the back of the room. The jury duty emcee handed out a list of local restaurants and banks.

I lounged around and read my book and drank coffee. I went out to lunch both days and had some nice Vietnamese food and Chinese pastry from the baker on the corner.
This really beat working.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, you have a follower, so now you are officially a blogger.

    LOL - "plane going nowhere" ha ha ha

    ReplyDelete