Friday, February 5, 2010

My try at homemade tortillas

I was reading on someone else's blog that she only makes homemade tortillas, because they taste better, are healthier, and are more economical. The taste better part appealed to me, so I found a recipe last night and made them. They are pretty easy to make. You mix some flour, baking soda, water, oil and salt. Then you knead it and separate into little balls. I did all this and was thinking by this time that it was pretty simple. I could do this all the time, and save lots of money! But then I got to the part where I had to roll them out. Obviously (or maybe not obviously, but obviously to anyone who knows me) I do not own a rolling pin. I like to cook, but I don't bake at all, other than baking pre made cookie dough. So of course, a rolling pin is nowhere to be found in my kitchen. So, I rolled these suckers out using a cup. I floured the cutting board, my hands, the cup, and each piece of dough. It was still a real b#$!ch to roll these things out. they kept sticking to the cup, or just shrinking back to their original size, but whatever. I managed to get like 10 of them rolled out. After that, I heated them in the pan and they were ready to go. I must admit, they were pretty good, but there's no way I'm going to be regularly making my own tortillas. I'll take my $3.69 and get a pack of Mission tortillas as needed. Thank you very much. I'm going to start taking pictures of stuff and adding it to this blog, but bear with me. I didn't have the foresight to take a picture while I had dough and flour all over my hands, but I'll get there!

Edited to add: I just posted this and then noticed a typo, so I fixed it. I also noticed that it says I posted this at 3:42 p.m. Maybe it was 3:42 p.m. somewhere, but where I am, it was 6:51 p.m. I don't write these posts during my work day. I'm not sure what's up with Blogger.com's clock, but I assure you, it's almost 7:00 p.m.!

No comments:

Post a Comment